Elisa and Ravi chatted with VillarrealUSA 's Allen Dodson who is well versed in all things financial about the Villarreal's season so far as well as the various financial aspects of La Liga. Changes to the Beckham Law, the Doyen Groups increasing influence, Valencia's deal with Bankia group.
1. Villarreal - 17 min
- Financial results
- Molina hire
- Valencia game - positives, negatives
- Molina's challenges
2. Financial state of La Liga - 16 min
- No money across the league for winter transfer window
- Overall revenues of all teams except Real Madrid and FC Barcelona are flat - about 7 teams including Champions League and Europa League entrants Valencia, Villarreal, Atlético, Sevilla have no sponsors
- New government and changes to the tax laws : "Beckham law" going away?
- Who will be the most affected by changes to the Beckham law?
- Will there be an exodus of Spanish stars to other leagues like EPL?
- Teams under tremendous pressure to pay wages on time for players
- The different strategies of survival employed by La Liga clubs
3. The mysterious Doyen Group and other similar 3rd party ownership schemes - 14 min
- Increasing influence of Super agents like Jorge Mendes
- Lack of oversight on the part of LFP to oversee these
- Granada's curious relationship with Udinese
- The limitations and disadvantages of the multitude of the provincial clubs in Spain
- Is SAD (Sociedad Anonima Deportiva aka Limited Liability Co) the root cause
4. Valencia's deal with Bankia -13 min
- How does the deal work?
- Does this attract more foreign owners or investors to buy them?
- What does a foreign investment group look for in a club to make an investment decision?